Pages

February 26, 2011

Getting Ready for a Wedding

One of my favorite sisters is getting married in a few weeks and my other favorite sister and I are making the cakes.  Crystal has chosen a cake buffet with a few different flavors of cake.  The centerpiece of the table will be a cake like this one – it represents the love of nature that Crystal and Bill share.  They spend lots of time at parks and Crystal loves photographing wildflowers, so this natural cake is a perfect touch for them.  Bill also took Crystal to a state park to propose!
It’s been a while since I’ve made a sculpted cake, so I need to practice.  This one is pretty easy to sculpt, but covering it in fondant is not as easy.  Luckily I have a few more weeks to practice.
Crystal drew inspiration for this cake from this photo, which can be found on the Cupcake Envy web site.
image
Below is a photo journey of my afternoon.
100_1401  Cakes are baked, cooled, and have amaretto simple sugar on them.
100_1404 Cakes are stacked and trimmed so the sides are flush.
100_1406 I think a basket of flowers would make a nice cake also.
100_1410 The half-finished cake with chocolate fondant on it.  Next time I will put even less buttercream under the fondant.  It looks a bit puffy here.
100_1423  The finished cake.  I made the grass and flowers out of fondant as well.  Crystal and Bill’s initials are inside the heart and since the top seemed so empty, I drew in the tree rings also.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow! <3 <3 <3

Jen T said...

OH my gosh that looks dee-lish on top of beautiful! I love your fondant work. JenT

Welcome